Sunday, August 30, 2009

Loving Life in Pula

One of the choice experiences in our recent vacation trip to Utah was meeting Brother and Sister Pettersson, who served as missionaries with Ryan in Pula before recently returning home.  What a delight to discuss the work in Croatia and get a better sense of the experience Ryan is having there.  The Petterssons are wonderful people who did much good in their service to the great people in Croatia. 

with Petterssons

Ryan continues to have great experiences in Pula.  He recently got a new companion, Elder Brown, who arrived in Croatia about four months ago.  Ryan is serving as first counselor in the Rijeka branch presidency and leader of the Pula group, which is technically a part of the Rijeka branch, although Rijeka is located about 100 km away.  Ryan is to focus on leading the group in Pula and training the one priesthood holder in Pula to be a leader in the Church.  What an awesome opportunity and challenge!

Ryan and his companion also continue to do a lot of contacting work and teaching a few investigators … planting seeds that will undoubtedly mature and grow as the work in Croatia moves forward.

Here are a few excerpts from Ryan’s recent emails:

July 13

Elder Anderson and I have seen some pretty hilarious stuff this week.  There are some great moments on the mission, haha.  I’m kind of debating weather or not to share the following story, but I think I’m going to go for it.  Feel free to edit it before you send it to the whole world, haha.  Just try not to throw up when you read this one.  So, in Pula there is this one guy who walks around town who, mentally, is not all there.  But, he’s a nice guy and doesn’t cause any trouble.  But he just walks around town and greets people very loudly.  Sometimes he’ll just walk into the library we are in right now and yell, “Zdravo!” which just means hello.  So, we call him Zdravo, because we don’t know his name.  He’s a funny guy and everyone knows who he is.  The Mesa equivalent would probably be that guy they call Dizzy on Main Street.  As a side note, he’s a big guy, probably like 350 pounds.  The other day, Elder Anderson and I were on our way to our apartment for dinner and we saw Zdravo strolling across the street from our apartment about 30 to 50 feet ahead of us.  I pointed to him and was like, “Hey, that’s Zdravo.”  About 10 seconds later, Zdravo began to do the unexpected - he started pulling down his pants!  We were shocked to say the least, and before we knew it, his navy blue shorts were hanging at his knees as he was going #2 in the street!  It was very brief - just like ten seconds, and he pulled up his pants without a single wipe, and went on his way.  There were about 5 spectators, and the funny thing was that it didn’t seem to faze anybody too bad, haha.  Except one guy kind of shook his head and laughed. Haha, I’ll e-mail the picture of the evidence left behind.  You’ll see that its not so normal looking.  He must have been hurting pretty bad before he let it go!  Hahaha, I’m sorry that’s so gross.  I don’t think I could have NOT shared that though.  Haha.  Laterrrrrr!

Steve Redd was in Pula this week.  I got a call from him on Saturday morning.  He was like “This is your cousin Steve in Pula, Croatia”.  I was so surprised.  He’s studying in Austria and him and some friends came down for a trip.  We tried to arrange to meet up, but it couldn’t happen.  He had to leave pretty soon.  But we were so close to each other.  He said he was going to the Colluseum probably during the time we were at church.  Our church is like 100 yards away from the Colluseum.  It was nice to here the voice of a blood relative.  He’s the man.

Welp, I love the mission.  I wonder if I will be able to duplicate the happiness when I get home.  Probably not!  I’m loving it.  Welp, I got to go.  Hope you are all doing well.  Peace out!

Love,

Elder Dixon

 

July 20

Welp, once again, this week flew by, and I’m a little frustrated with how fast time is going by.  There’s just not enough time!  Things are going well here, though.  Pula never ceases to be great.

So, the Petterssons are gone, aka 2 less people at church, aka it feels like half the congregation is missing.  Not only that, it puts a lot more of the responsibilities on the missionaries.  On Sunday, I conducted, passed the Sacrament, directed the music (accompanied by a CD), gave a talk, taught Sunday school, and translated.  Haha, ironically, it was one of my favorite Sundays of my whole mission.  For the first time on my mission, I didn’t write out every word of my talk in Croatian.  I just made an outline with scriptures, main points, quotes, experiences, and testimony and went up and talked.  My Croatian wasn’t perfect and the talk wasn’t flawless, but I could just tell the Spirit had a lot more room to do its job - to direct and teach.  It was a good experience for me.

After that I taught a Sunday School lesson about missionary work.  I love to teach members, especially new ones, the simple truths of the gospel.  I was thinking of the good old “Did you know?” books the other day.  The ones that were each about a different Bible story.  I remember each start out with “Did you know?” followed by some simple, true statement about the Bible story.  It would say something like, “Did you know that Jonah was swallowed by a whale?” or “Did you know an angel protected David from lions?”  I love having the chance to do that with Miro when talking about missionary work.  I can say, “Miro, did you know the gospel is going to fill the whole earth?  Did you know that someday everyone will hear the gospel in his own language, just like you did?  Did you know that there are people in Pula prepared to hear the gospel, just like you?”  I love to talk about and teach these simple truths. 

In other news, it has taken me a year, but I am officially sporting a part in my hair.  I just figured it was about time.  I like it.

I forgot to tell you, but we found 45 potato bugs in one night in our apartment a couple weeks ago.  That is pretty unprecedented.  Usually we find one or two here and there, but that was a special day I guess.  We told our land lady person and she called the bug man.  Haha, nasty, huh.  I promise the apartment is not nearly as nasty as you are thinking it is right now.

Well, I love you guys.  Hope you are doing well.  Much love from the Croatian coast.  Take care!

S ljubavlju,

Elder Dixon

 

July 27

The big news of the week was that I have been called to be 1st counselor in the RIJEKA branch presidency.  Miro has been called to be the 2nd counselor.  I’m staying in Pula though.  Pula is a part of the Rijeka Branch technically, so that's why it works out.  Miro and I will lead the branch here together.  They pretty much gave me 2 main responsibilities: 1. Carry out responsibilities of President slash Elder Manley when he is not present in Pula.  (The Manleys are in Rijeka now) 2. Help train Miro to be a leader in the church.  I feel like I don't have much more experience leading in the church than Miro, but I've been lucky to grow up in the good old Lyn Rae among some great leaders.  Hopefully I can just follow the example of all the greats back at home and Miro and I can work together to help the people in Pula.

Welp, I love you guys.  Take care.  We'll see you later.

Love,

Elder Dixon

 

August 3

Welp, July 30 officially marks the one year mark for being on a mission.  The only word that I feel can accurately describe how I really feel about that is "laterrrrrrr!".  Not really, nevertheless  i CANNOT believe that it has been one year.  That is out of control.  There is absolutely no time. 

I wanted to be funny and give you a full physical status update � as far as how tall I am, how much I weigh and stuff, but we don�t really have the resources.  I�m pretty much the same though, so it doesn�t really matter.  Still about 6 feet tall, probably a tiny bit heavier.  My Walt Disney pencil stache is growing in thicker and thicker everyday it seems, but still only minor signs of growth on the side of my face.  Acne is still a part of my life.  I currently am sporting an underground zit near my chin that is about the same size as and feels about as good as a badly sprained ankle.  Anyway, I�m just picturing somebody who is not a member of our family reading this and feel an urgency to stop writing about this right now. 

It's been a great week here.  We have been doing a lot of tracting and contacting.  We keep finding a lot of people and sifting through them, because they fall out of interest.  We've met some really great people.  We are just working and hoping for the prepared to grasp on.  Our "bird investigator" is still meeting with us.  I love that guy.  I feel really good about him as far as eventually accepting the gospel, too.  He hasn't been to church yet, and we're working to help him get to that point.  He keeps reading the Book of Mormon.  Pray for him!  A weird observation is that he actually looks a lot like our brother Eric, Eric Dixon, that is.  Picture Eric wearing his glasses, with even darker hair, Italian-tan skin, and a 3 day beard - that is approximately our investigator.  He is great. 

Miro and I had our first Branch Presidency meeting.  It was great.  I�m liking being able to work with Miro in this way.  We just talked about a few small things like who's going to talk in church and stuff, and then we talked about the welfare of the members in Pula.  He asked what our role was in our new callings.  I thought about it, and I didn�t have the perfect answer, but the scripture in Mosiah 18 from when Alma is describing to the people the requirements for baptism came to my mind.  We read verses 8 and 9 about being willing to mourn with those who mourn and comfort those who stand in need to comfort and stand as witnesses of God at all times.  As we read about selfless service, I felt like he and I understood our roles as leaders in the church a little bit better.  Leadership in the church requires us to take the role of a servant. 

Welp, I better go.  You are the best.  We'll see ya later!  Peace out.

Love,

Elder Dixon

 

August 10

Welp, transfers have gone down once again, and once again the transfer has flone by way too fast.  I was fully expecting to stay with Elder Anderson another transfer, but he's going to Zagreb, while I stay in Pula with another companion coming down from a city called Varadin, named Elder Brown.  He's been out four months, and he's from somewhere in Utah.  The morning of transfer calls, Elder Anderson and I were doing a companionship pondering session on who we thought would go where.  Somewhere in our conversation, I said, "I'd like to work with Elder Brown."  And then... I got the call that night.  Elder Brown is quiet, humble guy.  I love people like him, and I can't wait to work with him in Pula.  I came to here at four months in the country, so we will be able to relate.  This is my third companion in Pula. 

Our mission is so incredibly young right now.  At the end of this transfer, my group will be the 2nd oldest group of missionaries in the mission.  After that next one, we will be the oldest for 8 months before we go home.  To add fuel to that fire, 8 new elders are coming in next transfer (that's a lot.  my group of 3 is normal size).  There will be either 6 or 7 cities open at that time, so pretty much every city will train plus more.  I told Elder Anderson he would probably be training at four months in the country.  That's kind of nerve racking for anyone to hear, so he said something like, "No, you and Elder Babcock and somebody else are going to train."  I said, "You're probably right, and so will you, and so will 4 other people."  Haha, it's crazy.  New missionaries are going to be training new missionaries.  We are very young, it's kind of cool and very intense. 

I love what the mission has done for me.  It's done so much for me personally.  My testimony has been so fortified.  I know this is our Father's work.  I've learned quite a bit about life.  I'm hoping it can do something more for my friends here in Pula.  In the meantime, I do feel very blessed to have this experience. 

Well, I better go.  Hope you all have a good day.  Peace out.

Love,

Elder Dixon

 

August 17

Welp, it seems like I was only with Elder Anderson for a couple weeks, but it was a whole transfer, I guess.  That's nuts.   Now, I am with Elder Brown.  He is from Wellsville, Utah, near Logan.  He lived in Brigham for a long time as well.  He's sweet.  He, like me, came down to Pula with four months in the country under his belt, so I have empathy for the brother.  Things are going well.  The language just gets better and better.  I can say I love this language.  It's great.

With transfers and stuff, it was hard to get a lot done this week, but we are looking forward to hitting it hard this week.  As far as investigators and members and stuff, it's all pretty much the same.  Miro never disappoints and is so strong.  I love hearing what he has to say about the gospel.  He just gets it. 

We had a couple cool experiences with tourists lately.  Some people from Holland -- I think it was Holland -- stopped us and asked in English "Are you enjoying your stay?"   Haha, we said yes and asked if they were members of the LDS church.  They said no, but they had friends that were.  We got talking, and after some time the topic of discussion was family history work.  The husband asked if the Salt Lake Temple was a place where they stored family records.  We explained that the church has some of the biggest family history centers in the world, but they are separate from the temples.  But then we went on to explain the purpose of temples, that we believe family relationships can last now and after this life, and that temples are where that can be made possible.  We explained that baptism is an ordance, and similarly, theres an ordinance done in the temple that makes it possible to be sealed with our families.  We gave them some information about how to find some family-history information and hooked them up with a pamphlet.  It was really cool.  Families... that's really what it's all about. 

We also had a really good discussion with a lady whose a Croat but lives in Atlanta.  Shes going back in a couple weeks.  She expressed that she had regrets in the past about mistakes she had made, but was living a better life now.  I shared with her what I felt about the power of repentance and how to repent.  I mentioned how great it was that we can be simply and completely clean.  I love that we can repent and be forgiven and feel the effects, for reals.  We got her information and will be in contact with her. 

Welp, I better go.  You guys are the bomb.  Take care.  TTYL.

Love,

Elder Dixon

 

August 24

It's been a pretty great week here in Pula.  Time flying continues to be an issue, but things are going well, heh.

Yesterday was a great Sunday.  Two members of the Church came from Zagreb, because they were visiting Pula for the weekend.  One was baptized 17 years ago when he was 15 years old and the other was baptized 15 years ago around the same age.  It was so cool to have them with us.  I was giving the Sunday school lesson on obedience.  It was so great to have their contributions to the lesson.  They have so much experience that we lack here in Pula.  It's so great to see teaching going on Croat-to-Croat.  They invited us to there weekend-home for lunch, and we talked about the church and missionary work and other random topics.  Faithful members in Croatia are real-deal pioneers.  It was so cool to see people with the same testimony, knowledge, and sense of unity that is found with every faithful member of the church. 

Also, yesterday, I conducted my first interview as a leader in the church!  I'll tell you what, that experience really motivated me to live close to the Holy Ghost.  That meeting wouldn't have worked out if it were any other way.  But, the Lord helped us out, and I think we both left the room edified.  Also, I'm so impressed with the members here and how faithful they are with such limited support.  I've grown to love the people here.  If I get transfered any time soon, I will probably punch a whole in a wall... JK, but really, I can't leave Pula.  I love it.

Things are going well with my companion.  I see a lot of me in him.  We are similar people, and I came to Pula at four months in Croatia just like him.  I know where the brother is at, so it's nice to work with him in that sense.

We found a couple cool investigators whose lives can be very blessed and serious questions answered from accepting the gospel and hear the message of the Plan of Salvation.  I'll keep you updated on future progress...

Welp, our members are doing good, but still keep them in your prayers!  The church needs to grow and these members need to endure and progress to the end.  Theirs a lot of opposition in these parts against those two goals, so please know your prayers are appreciated and felt in Pula!

Welp, I better peace out.  I love you all.  Take care!!

Love,

Elder Dixon

No comments: