Sunday, April 5, 2009

Beautiful Pula

Ryan continues to serve in Pula, Croatia, a beautiful city on the Adriatic Sea.  We don't have any personal photos to show you, but liked the following coastline scene from a travel website.  We understand that Pula is a favorite tourist spot for visitors from many parts of Europe.

It sounds like the English classes Elders Dixon and Nelson are teaching are enabling them to meet new people and develop strong friendships.  They hope that this will lead to opportunities to teach people the gospel.





A few excerpts from Ryan's last email:

Subject: Ciao Ciao

Dear Family,

Things are going well in Pula.  Last Friday, we had Cowboy Night for our English students.  It was an awesome activity. Probably the most awesome activity I have been involved with on my mission.  Easily the greatest part was the cowboy dance that Elder Nelson taught to them all.  When we decided we were going to do a cowboy night, Elder Nelson decided he would teach everyone a country dance he learned when he was in elementary school.  So, virtually everyone that came (which was about 40 people) learned the "slappin' leather" dance from good old Elder Nelson.  Haha, it was so funny.  Elder Nelson and I got cowboy shirts...  We had a cupcake eating contest, bobbing for apples, hamburgers, and other stuff.  It was sweet.  The coolest part was a time when like five english students ganged up on me and started asking all kinds of questions about the church.  I got to testify a little and tell them more about what it was about, and I invited them to church.  There's some sweet people that we want to start teaching, so we'll so how that goes. 

So we went to some underground caves in Slovenia the other day.  Easily the coolest thing I've ever seen on a p-day.  They were beautiful.  And huge.  As a rule, we weren't aloud to take pictures. I went up to our tour guide and asked if we could take video of the cave with our cameras.  Haha, she then proceeded to give like a two minute speach about how they allow it but don't recommend it, because people might get the idea they can take pictures -- and the flash was damaging to the living species and the nature, etc.  So, I said okay, and since she said it was OKAY to take video, I was going to.  I went to take a video, but it was on the wrong setting, and I took a picture that flashed in the direction of the tour guide from like 5 feet away.  Haha, she was kind of frustrated, and I felt like Hades.  I appologized right after and looked pretty stupid, but the best part is that Elder Nelson happened to get the whole thing on video!  We sit down and watch that and just laugh.  Haha, it was so funny.

So lately, I've been increasingly grateful for the way the Lord builds up good men and women in this life. Looking back, much of the growth in my life has come as a result of being surrounded by good men and the teachings of good men and women who love the Lord and live His gospel. The prophets and Christlike examples from the Book of Mormon and the other standard works have guided me in my decision making throughout my life; and the examples of good men and women that have surrounded me, like Mom and Pops, church leaders, and companions like Elder Nelson, have inspired me to repent, change, improve, and grow. I am growing more and more thankful for the goodness in people as I realize what it has done for me, and consequently, enabled me to be somewhat of an influence for good here right now.  I love you peeps.  Thanks for your goodness!

Welp, I better peace out.  TTYL.  I love you!!

Love,

Elder Dixon

No comments: