Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Memories in Osijek

It seems like a long time since we talked with Ryan on Christmas Day, but we still feel the great spirit he exuded as we spoke with him. As a new year dawns in Croatia, we are so delighted with the work he is doing and the good experience he is having.  Ryan's description of the first baptism service he attended in Croatia brought tears to our eyes and warmth to our hearts.

The following photo shows Ryan with Dario, a "friend of the church" who has been attending meetings in Osijek for several years.  We are sure that Ryan and his companion will continue to add to the positive relationship Dario and others like him have with the Church.

dscn0875_edited

Excerpts from Ryan's last email:


Hey fam!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! 2009... crazy... Man, it was so nice to hear your voices.

So, Christmas was dope here in Osijek. Christmas eve, we went to the house of one of the other elders investigators. His name is Ivan (eevahn). We sang christmas Carols, talked, and Elder Jensen played some hymns on the piano. Elder Jenson talked a little with them about the Restoration. They are such awesome, nice people. It was Ivan, his wife, and their two kids who are in their 20s. It was a legit missionary Christmas. Along with that came my first nasty missionary food experience. They had this potatoe salad that was sliced potatoes and this dried fish with some kind of dressing. It wasnt terrible, but definately not great. The bad thing was she kept loading up our plates. I would ration my soda, so I could take a sip after every few bites. We would finish a plate and then she would be all "Eat! If its good eat!" Then, she would proceed to dish it up for us. This happened 3 times or so, and then the bowl was gone. We thought we were good then, but then she brought out another full bowl, and we all had another serving. I thought I was going to die. It took some serious mental strength. But Im alive! And the cool night with them made up for it.

It was a sweet Christmas. We went and visited some members. We went to visit Nikola (the one who gave us fruit that i told you about on the phoner). Hes the guy who gave me an F+ on my first talk out here. That was my favorite Christmas visit, maybe. He has a kind of abrupt personality, and teases people alot and stuff. Hes hilarious and we love him, but you usually dont see his soft / happy side. But you could tell his was grateful we came on Christmas to say hi. He doesnt have any fam here in Osijek, and when we came he had been watching this american movie from the 70s with subtitles on tv. Probably the loneliest Christmas ive ever seen. But he smiled and was happy to see us. We just talked for a while, and I think we did some real good in those few minutes.

Last saturday, we had a baptism here in Osijek!!! It was for a guy named Bernard Vildman. It was such a sweet meeting. It was way low key style. There was probably 12 people there including the 6 missionaries, but it's cool to think that that quite event that not very many people knew about was sealed in the records in heaven... God was aware of Bernard and his willingness to follow Christ by entering into that covenant through baptism by the correct authority - Christ's authority. And the next day, he was given the Gift of the Holy Ghost by that authority and now has the opportunity to have its constant companionship on his journey back home... It's truely amazing. During the prelude music, I looked over at Gordana, - his wife who is already a member - sitting next to him dressed in white, and she was crying. Im sure the throught crossed her mind that someday she and her husband could be married for time AND eternity and be a forever family. Those were some amazing moments that I hope I always remember... I also had the chance to give the talk about baptism. I hope it was ok!

So, Elder Jensen told me that Gordana said something about me... She said she was sure that I had Indian ancestry. I laughed and was all, "why?" Then, he said she could tell I was indian for sure, because of my nose! Haha, pretty random eh? The Dixon nose never ceases to amaze...

Welp, I love you. I hope everything is going great. I pray for you every day!!

Love,

Elder Dixon

No comments: