Thursday, November 27, 2008

Croatian Meat

We don't know much about the hanging meat in the following photo, except that it is obviously a bit different than we are used to here at home! Ryan looks healthy, so eating the local cuisine must be ok!

Elders Dixon and Giberson with Croatian lady and meat


Excerpt from Ryan's November 24th email:

Subject: FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!

Hellooooo...

What is ep??

THings are going well here. Maja is still doing great. Minus the fact that she hasnt been to church yet... But! Her mom gave her permission, which is big. Maja really wanted her blessing before she came to church. Her mom is a non practicing catholic, but really thought maja should be going to the catholic church, cuz thats their religion. True Croatian style... But shell be here this sunday! Pray for her! She also had a couple issues to over come with the Word of Wisdom, just like social coffey, tea, and wine... Shes not an alchoholic or anything, but were helping her quit for good. Shes awesome though... Just a pleasure to teach.

So, its freezing here. It snowed for a couple mins the other day. I think ill survive, but its cold... THat reminds me... I will be making a purchase tomorrow - a phatty jacket that will be about 300 bones... then i will be warm for winter. Just a heads up for my bank account.

Do you know what's ooc? My first transfer is this weekend... Where did the time go, guys? Idk, but I have a solid feeling that Elder Giberson and I will stay in Osijek, but you never know... Maybe I will open up Bosnia with my MTC companions or something... JK, but I think ill be here. Ill let you know next week!

Mom, as far as food goes here, we have pretty much everything. We dont have sliced bread, just like french bread. We dont have... i really cant think of anything. But we have an hour for dinner slash lunch, so any meals we could make and eat in an hour, I would really appreciate. Could you send pancakes recipe again? I couldnt print that day and the email has gotten deleted since then by the email service...

Dad! I read a talk that you have to read. Actually everyone should read it, but I think dad would love it. Its by Krešimir Cosic... aka my hero. Its a speech that was given @ byu on October 24, 1994, and its just about his time at BYU and how its effected his life. It talks about his conversion, basketball, Croatia, and the war, and I love it. I think youd really like it. He really is my hero. Krešo Cosic has done more for the salvation for a Croat, save the Savior and Joseph Smith only. I hope thats not sac-religious! I think its true, though! He is such a good man... With amazing love for the Lord. I want to send you a documentary about him that we have up here. I think you could find that talk on the internet. If not let me know.

Welp, life is pretty sweet here in O-town. There is black mold appearing on our ceiling... I guess its pretty common in croatia. Its because Croatia has a ...moist...climate. heh. My language is improving slowly. We went to a member's house the other day. Her name is Lidija aka Lydia. We went there my first week here, i think. I remember that time, I couldn't understand squat.... But this time, I actually understood what we were talking about and could add something here and there. So, Im learning. Im not exactly dreaming in pure Croatian yet, but I did dream of Brother Neil Jones saying like two words in Croatian. Haha, pretty funny huh? I dont remember which words exactly, but i remember the case endings (croatian grammar style), so it was definately croatian something. Haha...

Mom asked how the food is... really we dont eat alot of legit croatian food. Most of the Croatian food ive eaten here has been baked goods, like bread and pastries, and that is PUH. There are exactly 1284986387654897646 bakeries in Osijek. Ive heard some horror stories about eating at peoples houses though... Im a little nervous.

Welp, i better go. I love you peeps. Take care. Thanks for all your prayers and support. I pray for you every day! Peace out.

Love

Elder Dixon

1 comment:

Jen said...

Bro. Dixon, Congratulations on having a son serve a mission in Croatia--the home of Kresimir Cosic! I loved Kres and knew him well. He played basketball under my father Glenn Potter at BYU from 1970-1973 and my father visited Croatia often with Kres to help get the church established in Croatia and to set up a basketball camp. My father has some wonderful stories to share. Truman Madsen, noted author, is writing a book on Kres as well. I will try and see if I can find a copy of the talk your son referenced in Oct 1994. I forwarded your request to my father in hopes he might have a copy of it. I also made a request to Truman Madsen. I served in a mission in Austria and Croatia, at that time, was part of my mission and was opened to missionary work with Kres serving as branch president. I had the opportunity to speak with Kres on several occasions while serving in Austria. He kept tabs on me! What an incredible man! Sadly, none of his children or wife ever joined the church. Thanks again and have a GREAT day!!